Monday, February 9, 2009

Registry Review



Warning: This is a long one…

My girls and I have begun planning a garage sale for the spring. The past few weeks I have started to make a pile of items I want to sell…and how ironic, many are items that a typical soon-to-be-bride would be registering for.

With that said, I thought it may be helpful to other brides-to-be to give my opinions on some items that are found on many bridal registries.

Since most of these items are kitchen related it’s important to note that I do enjoy cooking and entertaining. We eat in at least 5 nights per week, entertain our friends monthly, and have several large parties per year (40-50 people).

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer – Sold mine on eBay last month. Not because it isn’t wonderful, it was. It’s just too big. I hate having stuff on my kitchen counters, especially stuff I do not use everyday. So I had it in its box tucked away and I would forget about it. It usually made an appearance if I was baking a ton of Christmas cookies, other than that is was too much hassle. The mixing bowl wouldn’t even fit in the dishwasher. Instead – I recommend a small hand mixer…I use mine at least one time per week.
Food Processor (mine is a Mini 5 cup chopper) – Another item I use weekly. I have gotten better with cutting veggies and herbs, but this thing is so quick if I have to cut up more that one or two things I pull it out. Just this week I used it to make breadcrumbs, shred chicken, and make fresh salsa.

CrockPot – Throw a few ingredients in, shut the lid, turn on. 8 hours (or less) later dinner is ready. Cleanup easy – especially if you use slow cooker bags. Need I say more?

Plates/Flatware/Glassware – My one comment on this is to register for sets of 12 or more. I love everything I currently have but when I purchased it I got sets of 8. As holidays and dinner parties expanded, I needed more, but everything I have has been discontinued. If you are like me, and like everything white, at least its pretty easy to find similar pieces when you do need to add to your collection.

Wine/Martini Glasses – I’ll be selling plenty of these at the garage sale. Only because I over bought. Since you can’t stack these things, keep in mind how much you can store. And unless you are a wine conosuier, red wine tastes just as good in a white wine glass.

Cookware – If you cook a few times per week or more, register for good quality cookware. I know it may seem expensive, but the good stuff will last you for 10 – 20 years, if not longer.

Knives – Same as cookware. Once you use good knives, you’ll wonder how you got along without. But, if you don’t cook often, stick with the basics.

Grind n’ Brew Coffee Maker – Another item featured at my garage sale. This thing is loud…no, really loud. If you are sleeping it will wake you up. Our bedroom is upstairs on other side of house and it wakes me up. If you live in an apartment your neighbors will hear. We are serious coffee drinkers and have found that our $20 Mr. Coffee is wonderful; it’s the coffee we put in it that makes the difference. And if you like using fresh coffee beans, your food processor can chop those too!

Folding Tables – If you look under every bed or couch in my house you will find a folding table (and probably a few dog toys). You can never have enough of these if you like to entertain indoors or outdoors. I also buy twin sized flat sheets as my tablecloths…they are long enough so you can not tell they are folding tables.

Towels – I have a closet full of good towels, yet use the same 2 or 3 over and over. If you register for towels buy one first – make sure you love it and will want to use it. Wash it ten times before you make a decision – some look great when you buy them, then after a few washers look like you have had for ten years.

Pottery Barn – Years ago I would flip through the pages and be in aww of the furniture…and in 2004 I purchased a couch and large mahogany coffee table from them. Where is that furniture now? Banished to the man room, because it looks like something that belongs in a “man room”. It has not aged well. Two years after I bought it I got cheap Rooms To Go furniture – which still looks pretty new. I have a ton of stuff from Ikea that has lasted longer. I would not recommend buying PB furniture. In fact, many things I have gotten from them, like bedding, have that old, worn look.

Wine Fridge – If you enjoy wine, this is a must have. However, beware of the size. Think about where you would put it and get out the measuring tape. They tend to be very long…which can be difficult to put on top of a piece of furniture. I have a small (10 bottle) one and had such a hard time finding a place for it. The only place that worked was the kitchen counter – which I hate – but at least it fits my rule of “using it everyday”.

Rabbit Corkscrew – Words can not describe my excitement for this product. Wine lovers, this is a must must must have.

Cookbooks – I couldn’t live without my classic Joy of Cooking…it covers ALL of the basics…or my many Barefoot Contessa books. All others are going to the garage sale.

And how could I forget one of my favorite items – Huggable Hangers. I purchase mine from HSN (home shopping network) but now they are sold at Target. I promise if you buy these, you will want to fill every closet in your home with them. Nothing falls off – not the tiniest tank top or the heaviest coat. They are so slim you create so much room in your closet (which means time to buy more clothes).

I think I have taken up enough of your time…I hope this will be helpful…but remember, everyone is different. What does or doesn't work for me, may or may not work for you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! We have this HUGE 12cup food processor which I've used once. There's two of us now so using it for just us is a really big hassle. We do use our hand blender a lot though, soups, smoothies etc.

    ReplyDelete