Friday, February 20, 2009

We'll Figure it Out

During our lovely v day meal, I thought it would be a good time for us to rank the priorities for our wedding day. I was hoping that after this exercise, we’d have a clear vision of what we both wanted, and what we were willing to sacrifice to get it.

I was wrong. Very wrong.

We are both not negotiable when it comes to 1. fab honeymoon, 2. parents, siblings, and close friends, and 3. a “really good time”. But that is where our agreements stop.

Important to him – all family and friends, live band, buffet

Important to me – photography, live ceremony music, not going into debt to pay for 1 day

He said things like “I can get a second job” me: uugghh no.

“We can take out a home equity loan” me: in this economy are you kidding me?

“I think we can swing $25k”
me: explain how
“We’ll figure it out”

What? This is his solution…We’ll figure it out….and he is an Accountant?

And he thinks we can go on the cruise this year as well as pay to have a bunch of trees removed from our property. Not to mention the TV he is thinking about getting (because only 2 of the 4 in his man room are HD) or tickets to the UNC-Duke game, which aren’t cheap.

So the conclusions we came to…
1. He will do some research to find a venue that we can bring in any food, liquor, etc ourselves (yes, I wished him good luck).

2. In the meantime, we will have an engagement party. Something small at our home.

7 comments:

  1. getting on the same page is the hardest part. my dude thought a 10K wedding for 130 people, full dinner and drinks, in manhattan, was doable! (which, i tried, believe me, but some things are just not possible.)

    you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally have the same problem with my soon to be husband. His saying is " we'll be fine"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accountants are the worst when it comes to numbers (coming from an accountant)....haha.

    Good luck! I hope that he is successful finding a venue that will allow you to bring in food and drinks. That would definitely be more budget friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My honey tends to got the "we'll figure it out" route as well. In this case, I have really reined him in. I refuse to go into (more) debt for what amounts to a big party. We live in LA & I have a 10K budget. When I started this process, I didn't think we'd ever be able to pull it together for 10K but ya know what? I think we can do it. I actually think we can do it & have a little money left over!

    Maybe....Or maybe I'm insane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Remember that you almost ALWAYS go over your budget, haha.. but luckily there are plenty of DIY things you can do to save money. Just be sure NOT to sacrifice the important things... ex: photography, dress, rings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!!! Good luck on that--- that is a lot to think about! I'm sure you'll work something out that makes you both happy though-- that's how marriage works!

    ReplyDelete